Here are some helpful tips to help you and your family stay safe this Mardi Gras:
Mardi Gras DO’s
- Keep beads, small trinkets, snapping pops, and plastic bags out of children’s reach.
- Be careful walking and driving near parades and parade traffic.
- Make sure costumes are safe and age appropriate.
- Establish a meeting place should you become separated.
- Place contact information on your child.
- Respect the law. It’s there for your safety!
- Keep paths clear for parades and marching groups.
- Keep children close at all times.
- Cross ONLY at crosswalks.
- Make sure to bring snacks and plenty of water.
- Remove all valuables from vehicles and keep your doors locked.
- Always have a designated driver.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Practice common sense.
Mardi Gras DON’Ts
- Do not leave children alone.
- Do not climb on barricades.
- Do not assume traffic will stop.
- Do not fight over throws. They are just plastic.
- Do not use silly string near open flames.
- Do not approach horses unless the rider says it is ok.
- Do not run between floats.
- Do not place ladders near intersections.
- Do not reach under a float, even if it is stopped.
- Do not approach a float or vehicle until it is completely stopped.
- Do not put beads or throws in your mouth, you might choke.
- Do not consume alcohol in excess.
- Do not travel alone. Use the buddy system.
- Never drink and drive.